Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Nursing Diagnoses related to Parkinson's Disease


Proper nursing assessment and appropriate interventions are essential for the health and well being of individuals with Parkinson’s disease. Because there are commonalities amongst all people with Parkinson’s disease, we can make nursing diagnoses that address these common issues and help to focus our care.

Here are five common nursing diagnoses that apply to most people with PD.

1. Impaired physical mobility related to stiffness and muscle weakness

2. Imbalanced nutrition: less than body requirements related to PD, as evidenced by weight loss. 

3. Impaired bowel elimination as evidenced by constipation related to slowed movement/peristalsis

4. Impaired verbal communication related to facial muscle stiffness

5. Self care deficit related to neuromuscular weakness, decline in strength, loss of muscle control/coordination

So what do we do now that we have a diagnosis? Here is an example of how a nurse would process a diagnosis, what he/she would designate as a plan or expected outcome and how to intervene to achieve the expected outcome. 

Actual/Potential Diagnosis
Related to…
Plan/Outcome
Nursing Intervention
Impaired physical mobility
Stiffness and muscle weakness secondary to PD
Plan: Client will engage in neuromotor exercise for 20-30 minutes per day (balance, coordination, gait)
Outcome: improve and   maintain physical function and reduce falls
- Observe and assess current mobility
-Assist with range of motion exercises
-Encourage mobilization, support with walk-assist devices if needed
- practice strength and balance exercise

Nursing care of individuals with Parkinson’s Disease can be very systematic and organized if one follows a care plan tailored to each individual patient. It is important to prioritize safety (risk of falls, impaired swallowing) and the goals of the patient. The job of the nurse is to maintain safety and improve the quality of life of the patient living with PD. Because there is no cure, symptom management is key and nursing can play a big role by working with the family to cultivate a plan that can be successful.

In case you're a visual learner, here is a cute little video that quickly summarizes some key nursing interventions for people with PD. 


Links for more information on nursing diagnoses (specific to Parkinson’s Disease):


References: 
Ackley, B.J., Ladwig, G.B. (2014). Nursing Diagnosis Handbook. Mosby/Elsevier




9 comments:

  1. Good-day viewers that is reading this article, i want to share to the world how this great man save me from HERPES VIRUS 1/2 3years back i was battling with this terrible and disastrous disease which was so detesting,well on my aid of looking for solution all my effort conceived nothing, I was devastated but one day out of great enthusiasm i saw this intrigue testimonies about Dr Wole Ayomba so afterwards i contacted Dr Wole Ayomba on his emails: (greatcureman@gmail com) I explained myself to him and i obeyed all his instruction without protesting any further he assured me that all will be fine and that was it,i was totally cure when i used the herbal medicine that was sent to me,Thank so much sir Dr Wole Ayomba for your help, Dr Wole Ayomba also cures several diseases such as CANCERS, LOW SPERM COUNT, DIABETES, HIV AIDS, HEPATITIS B & C And many more, incase you are going through this same infection yours can also be cured.reach his mobile or  whatsapp on +2348152855846
    E-mail    greatcureman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease nearly 4 years ago, at age 51. I had a stooped posture, tremors, muscle stiffness, sleeplessness, and slow movement. I was placed on Sinemet for 7 months and then Sifrol and rotigotine were introduced which replaced the Sinemet but I had to stop due to side effects. I tried every shots available but nothing working. I read a lot of website where people who shared their testimonies kept mentioning Herbal medicine. I searched for a blog on herbal medicine for parkinson's. I just followed the website of Doctor that was shared on these testimonies. Since i started with the PD herbal treatment, i'm happy to report feeling better overall, the tremors seized, more energy and better coping with everyday life. My walk became steady and I stopped shaking. My energy improved. I am 90%better. I am confident I will be cured for more info contact dr.lewisamenico@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suffering from Parkinson's since 2014 & life had become disastrous for me,75 % of my body was covered by Tremors.After taking product from www .multivitamincare .org under supervision of Dr. Casey, I started getting results within 3 weeks of their dosage .One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, difficulty standing, restless sleep,Started taking this remedies twice daily. I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my PD other than this product.I went off my previous medications (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on their Parkinson’s disease herbal formula.Treatment went very well and tremors are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt. I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from` a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later ,it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.. I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine for Parkinson i purchase from  Multivitamincare . org  was my only way to get rid of my PD,the herbal formula effectively reverse my condition and alleviate all my symptoms, people are suffering from this Parkinson disease due to lack of information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Around age 60 I noticed that my handwriting was getting smaller and I was writing faster. I also noticed a small tremor in my right hand. The doctor went over my different symptoms and he suspected I’d either had a small stroke or the beginnings of Parkinson ‘s disease. After finding a neurologist and some testing I was diagnosed with the beginning stages of Parkinson’s disease. That was 4 years ago. I took Sinimet four times a day to control my symptoms, which include falling, imbalance, gait problems, swallowing difficulties, and slurring of speech, A year ago, I began to do a lot of research and came across Kykuyu Health Clinic (ww w. kykuyuhealthclinic. c om) and their Parkinson’s HERBAL TREATMENT. After seeing positive reviews from other patients, I quickly started on the treatment, I experienced significant reduction/decline in major symptoms, including tremors, muscle weakness, speech problems, difficulty swallowing, balance problems, chronic fatigue and others, The truth is you can get off the drugs and help yourself by trying natural methods, i live symptoms free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed of Parkinson's Disease a couple of years ago, I had severe fatigue, difficulty with mobility and sleeping. I was given medications which helped but only for a short while. So i decided to try alternative measures and began on Parkinson's HERBAL TREATMENT from Kycuyu Health Clinic, It made a tremendous difference for me (Go to their website www. kycuyuhealthclinic. com ). I had improved walking balance, muscle strength and improved vision

    ReplyDelete
  8. My spouse completed the recommended Parkinson disease treatment plan last week, she is doing a lot better. There has been a total reduction of symptoms, improved coordination, I am really happy we made a good decision by using these herbal remedies,we ordered it from www multivitamincare org

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was diagnosed 2011. i was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. My symptoms progressed quickly. Soon i was having difficulty breathing, swallowing and even walking short distances. With the help of Kycuyu Health Clinic natural herbs I have been able to reverse my symptoms using diet, herbs, which i feel has made the most difference. The Parkinson’s natural formula immensely helped my condition, it reversed my Parkinson’s. my slurred speech. And then the inability to eat without getting choked, my Handwriting, and mobility. gradually disappeared. Visit KYCUYU HEALTH CLINIC via their official web-site www. Kycuyuhealthclinic .com I’m now playing golf again. and i turned 69 today. i am glad to get my life back DON’T GIVE UP HOPE!!!

    ReplyDelete